Thursday, December 13, 2012

Got Rice?

I LOVE rice and it's unbearable not eating it when I'm having anything that is Asian-flavored. It's like telling someone you can't have bread with your spaghetti or a tortilla with refried beans. It's just not right! However, I've finally found an alternative! I made cauliflower lime "rice"! Sounds... delicious? I was skeptical just like you, but I realized I'm not going to reach my goal weight if I continue to stuff myself with rice. Sure we can say that brown rice is another healthy alternative, but not really when I'm still eating too much of it. Cauliflower rice is obviously not the same, but it's a great substitution :) Plus an added bonus is that it's SUPER easy to make!

Ingredients:

  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 1 lime
  • cilantro
  • salt/pepper to taste

Directions: Rinse the cauliflower and dry. Cut it up into little florets (just like broccoli). Use a blender, grater, or food processor and "chop" it until it's about the same consistency as rice (I used a food processor and it chopped it up perfectly).

Next, using a fry pan, heat some oil and add the cauliflower and cook it for a few minutes. Then add a handful of cilantro, and some juice from the lime. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve warm!

I saw some recipes that added lime zest. I didn't put exact measurements of the lime juice, cilantro or salt/pepper because I feel like you should taste it and add more of whichever ingredient that you like as it cooks. Obviously don't go crazy, but start off with small amounts first.

Variations: There are a lot of recipes online. I found an Asian inspired version: garlic, ginger, soy sauce, green onions, scrambled egg... think "fried rice". Or you can add garlic, parsley, and butter for another dish.

NUTRITION
Meal 1: 1/2c egg whites + Tapatio hot sauce, black refried beans, water/tea
Meal 2: cauliflower lime "rice", 1/2 grilled chicken breast, water
Meal 3: Salad: romaine lettuce, 1/2 grilled chicken breast + balsamic vinaigrette, baby carrots + honey roasted almond slices, water
Meal 4: 2p canadian bacon, 1 hard-boiled egg, water, choc chip cookie (after donating blood)
Meal 5: Korean kimchi soup- pork, kimchi, tofu, green onions + Korean bean sprouts, water

No comments:

Post a Comment